Supporting Children and Young People
What can Argyll and Bute Women’s Aid do to help Children and Young People?
Even though we are called Women’s Aid we recognise that children and young people, both girls and boys, can also experience the effects of domestic abuse. Providing children and young people with support is a very important part of our work.
The effects of domestic abuse can cause enough stress and upset on it’s own but children and young people have their own pressures e.g growing up, friends, exams, relationships, school and many other situations and because of what is going on you have no one to share your concerns or problems with.
Our children and young people’s workers are here to listen and help any girls and boys who are affected by domestic abuse by:
- not taking sides believing in you listening
- helping you understand your feelings
- giving support helping with school work
- finding out about out-of-school activities (even going with you to see if you like them)
- organising outings with other young people in similar situations e.g bowling, swimming, going to the cinema
- helping you build your self-esteem